The driver’s license is a document that many immigrants look for in order to drive in the United States. Obtaining driver’s licenses is available to immigrants, although it requires meeting certain requirements. If you are an immigrant and want to obtain a driver’s license in the United States, this article will help you understand the entire process.
A driver’s license is a document that authorizes a person to drive a vehicle in territorial jurisdiction. The immigrant driver’s license has the same value and legal effect as a standard driver’s license issued by the local government.
To get a driver’s license, you will first need to check if you meet the basic requirements. You will then need to submit all the necessary documentation to obtain a standard driver’s license. Some people may have to pass the medical exam, in addition to the theoretical and practical test.
Although there are some different requirements depending on where you live or want to reside, the main ones are:
– Be a permanent legal resident or American citizen
– Have four continuous years as a legal resident in the United States.
– Have a valid driver’s license issued by the government of your country of origin
– Pass the corresponding medical, theoretical and practical exam
– Pay the corresponding fees
If you meet these requirements, you can start the process to obtain an immigrant driver’s license at any time. It is important that you know that not all states offer a driver’s license for immigrants, so it is advisable to consult the driver’s license available in your state of residence before beginning the process.
Newly arrived immigrants to the US must obtain a driver’s license; However, licenses issued by foreign countries are not considered valid, so it may be necessary to re-present the corresponding medical, theoretical and practical examination prior to the issuance of the definitive permit. In addition, it is mandatory to have civil liability insurance, which covers damage to third parties.
Once you have all the necessary documents to complete the procedure, you must follow the following steps:
– If you are an undocumented immigrant, you should know that there are only 16 states in the US that allow you to obtain a special driving license. This document does not work as identification.
– You must process your driver’s license according to the state in which you reside, since each state handles different laws and processes.
– If you are under 21, you will need to provide proof of having completed a driver education course.
– You may not use your driver’s license to operate a vehicle that is not registered or insured in your state of residence.
When it comes to your driver’s license, it’s important to know how to avoid being ruined by infractions like the following:
– Not having a license or not having obtained the corresponding permit.
– Transport more passengers than allowed in the license you have.
– Driving with forged licenses or operating a vehicle without registering it with the relevant bodies.
If you cause any harm to third parties, you will pay compensation in addition to receiving fines and jail time, as the case may be. For this reason, it is advisable to seek legal advice before starting the process to obtain a driver’s license for immigrants in the US, since an attorney can help you better understand the laws and processes of your state, as well as defend your rights in case of being fined or arrested.
Contact our law firm for a free first consultation using the form below:
You can also communicate through (909) 319-7103 / 1 (800) 559-7170, visit us at 228 West C Street Ontario CA 91762 or send us an email explaining your case to firstname.lastname@example.org