Requirements for a student visa in the United States

There are several options for studying in the United States, but the requirements for a student visa are basic requirements. If you want to know how to obtain this type of visa and what requirements you must have, keep reading this article.

What is a student visa (F1-M1)?

This visa allows you to study in the country and work to finance your expenses, but it requires a certain level of English and good ethical conduct. If you do not speak English or do not have good behavior, you will not have your visa granted.

You can obtain an F-M visa if you receive admission to study at a college or university that is accredited by the United States Department of Education (USDE). The requirements vary between educational institutions and some only require proof of basic level of English while others require that they speak English without problems before admitting students.

It also requires good ethical conduct and not having been sentenced for serious or minor crimes committed in the past. If you have just been released from jail, it would be best to obtain your visa before entering the United States.

The process to get the F-M visa is more difficult if you want to work during your studies as you need additional proof as part of your current academic program and to sign an employment contract with a US company that requires your service after graduation.

You will likely get permission to work through the Department of Labor (DOL) after passing the academic and financial requirements, but you may not be able to find a position without first signing the written contract with the local company.

Who is eligible for a student visa (F1-M1)?

People who are eligible for an F-M student visa are:

– Students who have received admission to an educational institution accredited by USDE or Canadian provincial academic authorities.

– People who have good ethical conduct and have not been convicted of serious crimes in their native country, as well as the United States.

The requirements vary between academic institutions but they need to have basic English if they want to work during their studies to finance them. Some require a high level of English and a written contract signed with a local company in order to work.

What are the requirements to obtain this type of visa?

The requirements to obtain an F-M visa are:

– Have official admission from your college or university accredited by the USDE, the provincial academic authorities in Canada. If you are Canadian, it may be recommended that you contact the US embassy closest to you.

– Have not committed serious crimes in your native country or in the United States and do not require criminal sentences currently pending.

What requirements must USDE accredited universities or colleges meet?

The academic requirements vary between each institution, but all require that the student have a good level of English and do not require many working hours.

If you want to work during your studies, you need to contact the embassy closest to your country, recommending that you be aware of the specific academic and financial requirement to obtain the F-M visa at your college or university.

Who qualifies for a work permit?

The requirements vary depending on whether you are 15 years of age or older, if you are a minor it requires permission from your parent or legal guardian and the signing of a written contract with a local company.

If you want to work during your studies to finance them, you need to obtain authorization prior to entry through the Department of Labor (DOL) in addition to having a basic level in English.

How is the process to obtain a student visa (F1-M1)?

The process to obtain a student visa requires:

– Communicate with the accredited embassy / consular office in your country, recommending that you be aware of the specific academic and financial requirement for F-M visas.

– Have an official admission letter from the college or university where you are enrolled.

– Minimum requirements for basic English depending on your school level, you need IELTS / TOEFL certificate and the specific academic requirement in the educational institution accredited by USDE.

The process requires many visits to the embassy in order to obtain all the required documents starting with their final validation when they are presented.

If you need to process an F1-M1 student visa, our immigration attorneys can help you through the legal process. Contact us through the following form: