VAWA work permit for women in the United States

The VAWA work permit allows women who apply for permission to remain legally in the United States, to have a temporary permit to work. The VAWA permit is intended exclusively for women who are victims of domestic violence and does not have any additional requirements or conditions. In this article, we will talk more about this topic.

What is the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)?

It is a law that aims to facilitate immigrants who suffer from domestic violence, permanent permission and legal residence in the United States.

It is important to clarify that the VAWA permit is not an immigration visa nor does it allow you to become a US citizen. The permit allows the women to remain legal in the United States so that they can pursue all avenues of action with the abuser. It is a law created in 1994 and later modified, it is designed to help women who have been victims of domestic violence, especially those who are as illegal immigrants.

This law allows you to have a temporary permit to work and attend school. The VAWA permit can also be used to apply for permanent residence.

VAWA work permit requirements

– The woman does not have to have entered the country illegally, either because she is a legal immigrant or because of a work permit.

– The woman must have suffered physical abuse or domestic violence by her husband, current or former partner and / or children living in the same home.

– Spouses, former partners, or children living in the home are not allowed to apply for VAWA permission.

– The woman has to prove domestic violence to the authorities of the US government and have a restraining order against the abuser.

– The woman has to show physical or emotional evidence about domestic violence, such as injuries and / or other types of evidence to be able to demonstrate to the authorities.

What is the process for applying for a VAWA work permit?

The process for women who wish to apply for a VAWA work permit is as follows:

– Women must fill out and submit the initial I-360 petition.

– Later, investigations are carried out on the case by the authorities of the US government.

– If the application is approved, then a temporary permit to work and attend school is sent.

– Once you have this permit, you can apply for a permanent residence permit with the permit by VAWA.

– For the latter, it is necessary to present the I-485 petition to obtain citizenship and during this process it must be shown that the previous permits have been exercised accordingly.

How long does it take to get a VAWA work permit?

The entire process between immigration can take a year or more, depending on many factors and if there is any delay from the US government. Also, if there is a delay from the government and the woman already has work permits or cannot continue to pay for the permits, they may be renewed periodically.

If the woman does not have work permits and has a physical permit to stay in the country and can prove that she has been a victim of domestic violence, then she can obtain permission from VAWA.

What is the purpose of the VAWA Act?

The VAWA Act was created with the purpose of providing protection to women who have suffered domestic violence; however, it also allows the option for those who are not US citizens and require a VAWA permit in order to work and attend school.

This permit allows you to have a temporary permit to work, study or both at the same time under the different benefits that the permit offers by VAWA. All women who have experienced or are at risk of domestic violence can apply for VAWA leave. It does not matter if they are legal or illegal immigrants.

VAWA leave also allows close family members, such as daughters or mothers who are at risk of domestic violence, to apply for temporary leave to avoid danger.

If you or a family member is a victim of domestic violence and you need legal help because you are in a situation of risk, please do not hesitate to contact us immediately through the following form: